Boil sweet potatoes, bake in the oven, fry in the pan or deep-fry
The sweet potato comes from Central America and is not related to the conventional potato, but belongs to the tuber family. With 96 kcal per 100 grams, this tuber is a low-calorie side dish or a main course.
The taste of the sweet potato is somewhat sweeter than the potato we know. The color of the bowl is yellowish, orange or dark red depending on the variety. The inside of the potato can be whitish, yellowish or salmon-colored.
The sweet potato is mainly floury and can be cooked and eaten with the skin. But if you prefer to cook them without a peel, you can of course also do this, in this case the cooking time is about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. The sweet potato contains a lot of vitamins A and C and can be prepared in a variety of ways. The basic preparation is the same as for the potato known to us.
This is how the sweet potato is cooked
- Cut off the ends of the sweet potato >
Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven
In the oven, the sweet potato can either be whole as a baked potato, cut in half or prepared in pieces.
First, let’s look at how the sweet potato is made as a baked potato.
Sweet potato as a baked potato from the oven
- First scrub the sweet potato properly with a vegetable brush and clean it.
- Prick all around with a fork
- Wrap the potato in aluminum foil and put it in the oven –> Bake for 30-50 minutes at approx. 200 degrees
Sweet potato in pieces from the sheet from the oven
- Wash the potatoes again and cut them into pieces with their skins
- Make marinade from any spices and oil: we always recommend adding a little vegetable stock. Curry also goes very well as a spice with the baked sweet potato.
- Mix the potato pieces with the marinade in a bowl
- Place the mixture on a baking sheet (you can possibly put baking paper underneath)
- Bake at 180 degrees in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes start to brown
Fry the sweet potatoes in the pan
When roasting in a pan, the procedure is actually the same as when roasting normal roasted potatoes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small slices or pieces.
- Fry in oil in a pan
- Season with salt and pepper
Fry the sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes can also be fried very well. Sweet potato fries are also becoming increasingly popular. You can also fry the potato in slices. If you cut the slices nice and thin, you get sweet potato chips.
- First peel the sweet potato
- Depending on what shape you want, either in slices (thick or thin), strips or cubes > [The picture is from NatalieMaynor – via Flickr – many thanks!]
Cooking potatoes – how it works step by step The potato imported by the Spaniards in the 16th century originally comes from Chile and Peru and is now one…
Difficulty : light The confectioner’s favorite toy is marzipan. He kneads and shapes it, hides it in chocolates and decorates cakes with figures and…
Unfortunately, these prejudices about Berlin are true There are things that belong together because nature wants it to. Gin and tonic, for example. Or…
10/21/2019 | Juliane Weiss Delicious food doesn’t have to be expensive! Koch-Mit shows 12 recipes that succeed even on a budget. 12 inexpensive recipes…